Friday, April 27, 2007

Tribeca Day 2

It’s gloomily pouring rain today – something Weather.com failed to predict before I left – and my first experience inside a theater this morning was also dark and grim. I saw “Descent,” which Rosario Dawson stars in and produced, and it’s a story involving a rape and a graphic revenge for the rape that goes on endlessly. It was intense and I suppose it was good on many levels, but most people I know wouldn’t enjoy watching it, so I’d advise staying away (I’m told it resembles another revenge movie, “Hard Candy,” if that rings any bells for anyone). Dawson made an appearance after the screening and came across as sweet and down-to-earth.

Overall I’m still having a blast, even if Leonardo DiCaprio did breeze by me so fast last night that it wasn’t possible to take a photo of him that wasn’t blurry. I saw two other movies last night after yesterday’s entry. The first one, “The Hammer,” was a boxing comedy starring Adam Corolla of “The Man Show” on Comedy Central, a show that was distinguished by its disgusting and juvenile humor, so I didn’t have high expectations. But it was surprisingly sweet, funny and low on juvenile humor – only one fart joke. Corolla’s pal Howard Stern was on the red carpet, and 1) He’s surprisingly tall, at least 6 foot 5, 2) His fiancee is improbably gorgeous and 3) He took my questions about Don Imus and “American Idol” surprisingly seriously. (He’s still sad about Sanjaya’s ouster).

After that was “Gardener of Eden,” which DiCaprio produced - hence his lightning-quick red carpet appearance. It stars Lukas Haas, the jug-eared little kid from “Witness,” the 1980s movie about Harrison Ford hiding among the Amish, and he’s all grown up now. It also stars Erika Cristensen and was directed by Kevin Connolly of the HBO show “Entourage.” Haas is an aimless college dropout who decides to beat up a guy at random one night, and unwittingly ends up capturing a serial rapist. Being crowned a hero inspires him to become a vigilante, only it turns out he has the world’s worst set of vigilante skills. The audience loved it, but I didn’t – it was quirky and different, but there was too much painfully lowbrow humor and Haas’ character was too repellent.

At the party after that last night, there was no De Niro or anybody else famous as far as I could tell, but there was much free food and drink and loud music. Jaime, who with her husband Scott is generously letting me stay in their apartment, came and got me from there and it was great catching up with them, however briefly, before heading out for the next round today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home