Tribeca 2007 - Day 1
OK, so nobody told me the Tribeca Film Festival isn’t really in Tribeca anymore. It has expanded to many more venues around Manhattan – which is apparently the subject of some controversy. So, it turns out I’m devoting a bit more of my budget to cab rides than originally anticipated.
But I’ve enjoyed the two films I’ve seen since arriving this morning – “Chops,” a documentary about high schoolers who play in awesome jazz bands, and “Normal Adolescent Behavior,” a disturbing drama about sexual habits among kids today starring Amber Tamblyn of “Joan of Arcadia/Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.” After Chops, I got the chance to talk a little bit with jazz great Wynton Marsalis, who was wonderfully profound in a simply-spoken way (he was worried he looked fat onscreen, which was endearing).
Currently I’m writing in a lounge set up for the media which is blessed with free wireless Internet (and free snacks too). But I’m bummed the press home base is not a hotel like it was last year, which means my plan to come straight from the airport and “stash” my luggage hasn’t worked out. I’ve had to schlep it with me everywhere. I packed light so this is so far working out OK, but I’m supposed to go to a filmmaker party later tonight and I’m a little worried about looking uncool with my carryon bag when I bump into Bobby De Niro. Actually I have no idea whether he - or anybody else famous - is supposed to be there, but I can always hope. It may just be a bunch of reporters munching on hors d’oevres, but obviously I have no complaints about running into free food.
I'll update more about any other films I run across that are worth adding to your Netflix queues!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home