Tryout for "The Apprentice"
My quest to become the next "Apprentice" began with a bad omen.
Slowed by rainy roads, I arrived a mere half-hour before casting directors from NBC's hit "The Apprentice" were to begin conducting interviews of Duke University alumni who want the chance to compete for a high-level corporate job on the show. I'm a 1992 Duke graduate, a fan of the show and a chronicler of the corporate world through my job as a business reporter, so I decided to audition.
To my relief, there were no throngs of would-be apprentices in the student center on the Duke campus, just a short line. But my number on the sign-in list was 13.
If my odds weren't slim enough to begin with, my superstition about the unlucky number surely nixed any chance I might have to have the privilege of arguing, backstabbing and strategizing my way through the televised job interview. There's a twist with this audition: Applicants can choose between competing for a job with Donald Trump or with Martha Stewart, who the network has just announced will host her own spinoff version of "Apprentice."
Hmmm, what a choice. Trying to avoid staring at The Donald's shellacked hair or working for a convicted criminal.
I've had opportunities to watch both Trump and Stewart firsthand and write about them. Upon reflection, I believe I know enough of Trump's business lessons (as does anyone who has turned on a TV during the past year). As far as learning experiences go, observing Stewart seems to be more fertile ground.
This day's casting call was organized with just an e-mailed newsletter to Duke grad students, unlike the nationally publicized audition tour set to hit more than two dozen cities (info at www.nbc.com/nbc/The_Apprentice_3/apply_now.shtml). Duke organizers said it's typical for the show to quietly partner with a university in the area of an open casting call to conduct more leisurely interviews. Those who show up at the public auditions will have to interview in groups of as many as 10 at a time; I was one of the lucky few who got about seven minutes of one-on-one time with an interviewer.
The scene outside the audition room was more like a professional networking event than a TV audition. All but a few of the several dozen who showed up were dressed in their best job-interview finery, with most toting briefcases or laptops. Cocktail-style chitchatting ensued; business cards were exchanged.
Mark Kust, 35, arrived at 7:30 a.m. and was first in line for the 10 a.m. event, so he passed the time reading a Stephen King novel. He runs his own consulting company in Raleigh. He's been on reality TV before - an episode of TLC's "A Makeover Story."
He gave an earnest answer when asked about his interest in the audition: "I think having the opportunity to work for Donald Trump or Martha Stewart would be phenomenal professionally," he said.
But then he gave another reason, the same one likely lurking behind many of the other polished resumes in the room: "I just want to have a good time today, meet some people and have an experience."
Nobody queried in the room would publicly admit they're pursuing fame and wealth from becoming TV stars. But that was an undercurrent.
Kwame Jackson, who grew up in Charlotte and was runner-up on the first season of "The Apprentice," has been upfront about the fact that he's parlaying his fame into as much wealth as he can. He's currently working on a $3 billion real estate deal.
Me, I've got dandy ideas for books and screenplays I'd love to write if I become famous. But something tells me I'll be a business reporter a bit longer.
One indication: I arrived with a blank application and filled out the information in my reporter's scrawl. Hope Martha doesn't get to evaluate my penmanship. Lettye Smith, a 24-year-old Duke divinity school student who arrived just after me, barely concealed her distaste. Her application was carefully word-processed.
Also in line with me: Lino Marrero, 28, a key account manager with Pepsi Bottling Group in Columbia. No way would he choose to work for Stewart, he said, because her troubles with the law reveal inefficient business decision-making.
Tony Hightower, 30, is a Navy submarine officer and naval science teacher participating in Duke's engineering management program. He also nixed the idea of working for Stewart.
He admires Trump's accomplishments. "Success is the bottom line. Everything else is window dressing," he said.
But then there was 24-year-old Lisa Valvo, third in line. She'd never seen an episode of the show and hadn't planned to audition until the day before, when she heard about Stewart's show. "I've just followed her for years and years and I just like the fact that she's so creative and successful at what she does," said Valvo, who added that she owns a "Free Martha" T-shirt.
When I was called for my interview, a few tense minutes ensued. It turns out there's a rule that reporters aren't allowed to write about the questions the casting directors ask. Some of my valuable minutes were eaten up by discussion of agreeing to that condition before the interview proceeded. (I am SO not going to make the cut.)
After that, the conversation went more smoothly. Suffice it to say that it clearly wasn't a job interview - it was a personality evaluation. My line companions reported similar experiences. My questioner, Maddy Sloan, made a few notes on my answers. But I wasn't one of the few ushered away for a Polaroid photo at the end.
Just as well. Something tells me Observer editors are a little easier to work for than Martha or Donald.
*
All content © THE CHARLOTTE OBSERVER and may not be republished without permission.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home